Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few common questions. If yours isn’t here, please call us on 0397632795 or email us at email@example.com we’d love to help.
WHEN’S THE BEST TIME OF DAY FOR A PORTRAIT SESSION?
This is the single most important decision we’ll make in planning your session and we really want to help you make a great choice here, so please feel free to call if we can help.
However, sometimes it’s easier to decide or you may not have time to call, so here are some notes. First, try to avoid the middle of the day or early afternoon in summer because these don’t provide great light. Second, make sure that you choose a time when the kids, specifically your youngest, are generally well-fed, well-rested and happy, so that they can really enjoy the session.
WHEN AND HOW DO I PAY
The session itself costs $130, which covers our time in helping you prepare for the session and blocks out a time in our calendar for your family. This can be paid when you schedule the session.
As a very rough guide, most families invest between $1000 and $3000 on their wall prints, albums or digital files, but we have a huge range of products available starting at $250 for mounted prints.
When you place your print order, we accept all major credit cards, with no transaction fees. Payment plans are also available for larger orders.
CAN I CHOOSE MY OWN LOCATION?
There are two parks where we work very regularly lakeside boulevard Rowville, and Lysterfield Lake and these have been chosen as places where we can make a private space for your family with flattering light, beautiful backdrops and very importantly, protection from wind or bright sun. We’re able to book these locations online because we know them very well and know what times and days work best at each.
However, we’ve also photographed families at lots of different beaches, in and around the city and even at family homes and gardens across Melbourne. We want your photos to be special, so if there’s a location which is special to you we’d love to hear about it. Just give us a call on 03 9763 2795 and we can help you plan the perfect time and place for your family.
WHAT IF I DON’T PHOTOGRAPH WELL
This will sound like a cliche, sorry, but we really mean it. There is beauty in everybody when you take the time to look for it, and that’s exactly what we intend to do! Of course not everybody is beautiful in the traditional put-them-on-the-front-cover-of-a-fashion-magazine kind of way, but it would be a boring world if we all looked the same. The best portraits are the ones which capture the spark in an eye, a cheeky half-smile or a powerful, memorable moment, and that’s really the kind of beauty we’re here to capture!
Here are a few practical things we’ll do to help you though:
* Let’s talk about it. We’ll call you a few days before the session to finalise the plans, and this is the perfect time to chat about anything that you’re self-conscious about. The more we know, the more we can help.
* All of our sessions start with a two-minute posing lesson for grown-ups which will give you a great base for flattering photos throughout the session.
* We’ll take care of you in the editing of the photos, at your request. There are no fees for editing of the photos afterwards – it’s part of the service. Our policy is not to “photoshop” you unless you request it, and we’ll also advise you on the kind of edits that will look natural while steering you politely away from anything that will make the picture look weird.
HOW LONG DOES A SESSION LAST?
Ultimately, we’re there for you until we have a set of great images, which generally takes 60-120 minutes. It depends mostly upon how long it takes everybody to warm up in front of the camera. Younger children usually need more time, so if your youngest child is 4 or under it’s likely that we’ll be closer to two hours than one. For a group of grown-ups, one hour will probably be enough.
HOW MUCH WILL OUR PRINTS COST?
There is a huge range to choose from and it all makes much more sense when you’re able to pick things up and ask questions at our Rowville studio.
Our most popular products are our Mounted wall collections, which start at $990 for a set of three mounted prints and $390 for each additional print from there. Individual framed prints start at $390, Albums start from $990 and smaller mounted prints are available from $250, so there is a lot to choose from.
How many of those you choose is entirely up to you. We promise two things:
* that we’ll do our best in the portrait session to take so many great photos that choosing between them is difficult
* that we’ll genuinely help you in the Big Reveal to make great choices, with no hard-sell or regrets.
CAN WE GET DIGITAL FILES?
Absolutely. We really specialise in creating beautifully finished, printed products for your home, and although our USB boxes aren’t quite as nice to look at as a framed wall print, they are quite popular as an extra way of enjoying your favourite images.
There’s a few different ways to get files of your favourite images, and depending upon what else you package them with, they can be discounted or in some cases even free:
1. With any wall collection of three or more framed prints, each print comes with a free high-resolution, unwatermarked file of the same image. This is definitely the most popular option.
2. With any print order, we can provide a free “social media file” so that you can share the images you’ve purchased online. These files are free, and come with a subtle watermark and a reduced file size ideal for web use.
3. Individual high-resolution, unwatermarked files can be purchased for $250 each.
WHAT IS THE BEST AGE TO PHOTOGRAPH MY BABY
Every baby is different of course, but as a general rule there are a few great times to photograph a baby:
* Newborn: 7-10 days after birth is the best time for these pictures, while your little angel is still tiny (and sleepy).
* When baby starts to smile: Approximately 12 weeks after birth, your baby will still be small but you’ll be getting a bit more sleep and his or her little personality will be starting to shine out of those now-wide-open eyes. This is a really beautiful time for pictures of your baby with Mum and Dad. Because our speciality is telling love stories, we recommend waiting for 12 weeks as it means you’ll have had time to really form a beautiful relationship with your child.
* At around eight months your baby will be ridiculously cute and much more interactive. This is a great time to capture smiles, laughs, cuddles and tickles. You’ll see a lot of pictures on our website shot at this age, because we’ve got a big soft-spot for eight-month-old bubbas!
* Any time after that! For the first few years, it’s really important to carefully pick a session time when your child is likely to be well-rested, well-fed and happy.
P: (03) 9763-2795